- Category: Guest Blog
- Created: Tuesday, June 07 2011 10:07
- Published: Tuesday, June 07 2011 10:07
7 Awesome Areas to View a Race at Road Atlanta
Watching a race at a road course is very different from watching an oval race. Watching a race at Road Atlanta is even more different than watching a road race anywhere else!
For starters - you don't have to stay put. You can roam around the 750 acres - you can watch screaming high end speeds at over 200 mph – and in less than ten minutes you can watch some cars slamming it up through the esses or taking the challenging hairpin turns at 6 and 7.
So here are my top 7 places to watch a race from Road Atlanta...
1) The Grandstand situated across from the Paddock area near the start / finish line. Sitting here you get a clear view of pit road and the start / finish line. You also get to watch the cars come down into turn 12 and scream down the straightaway towards turn 1.
2) Turn 1. I think this is my favorite place to watch the start of a race. The field comes down around turn 12 and down the front straightaway at very high speeds - really having to brake hard making the sharp right hander (turn 1) up the hill. It's absolutely crazy during Petit Le Mans.
3) The Esses. As the cars leave turn 1 they head towards 2, 3, 4, - The Esses - and down off into turn 5. There’s lots of passing in this area and lots of off course excursions! Planting yourself at the esses for a short while is definitely worth it. You might not leave.
4) Turns 6 & 7. This is a hairpin turn and the slowest area of the race track. It rocks.
5) Turn 9. Talk about speed. Some of the cars at Petit Le Mans are like rocket ships when they scream down the back straightaway. You catch all of that sensation at turn # 9. Lots of camping areas around turn # 9 also.
6) Turns 10A and 10B. Woo Hoo! Action, action, action. Some great seating around this area - if you want action - this is one of the best areas of the track to see it. This is also where the drifting takes place when Formula Drift visits Road Atlanta.
7) Spectator Hill. Possibly saving the best for last. Not only can you watch the field as they head right at you through the esses but you can also see the giant Jumbotron screen and watch the race both on the track and on the screen. No wonder they call it Spectator Hill!
So as we mentioned earlier - you can roam around and hit all of the spots above as well as those in between. You won't want to miss the Paddock area or Vendor Village.
Have a fantastic time at Road Atlanta - let us know where YOUR favorite place is!